Springer Publishing Nursing Showcase
Regionally, nationally, and globally, UPMC Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh is a leader in the treatment of childhood conditions and diseases, a pioneer in the development of new and improved therapies, and a top educator of the next generation of pediatricians and pediatric subspecialists. With generous community support, UPMC Children’s Hospital has fulfilled this mission since its founding in 1890. UPMC Children’s is named consistently to several elite lists of pediatric hospitals, including ranking on the prestigious U.S. News & World Report annual Honor Roll of Best Children’s Hospitals for 2022-2023.
Download UPMC Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh fast facts (PDF).
Download the 2019 - 2020 Nursing Outcomes Report (PDF).
UPMC Children’s by the Numbers (CY 2021)
- 12,887 inpatient stays
- 8,803 observation stays
- 159,289 Emergency Department and UPMC Children's Express Care visits
- 20,836 surgical procedures
- More than 1.4 million outpatient visits
- Is ranked on the U.S. News Honor Roll of Best Children's Hospitals for 2022–2023.
- Is a leader in research. In Fiscal Year 2018, the pediatric research program at UPMC Children’s ranked 15th in funding dollars from the National Institutes of Health (NIH).
- Achieved Magnet Recognition® status from the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC). UPMC Children’s is among only 6 percent of hospitals nationwide to have achieved this prestigious status.
- Leads the way in advanced technology as the first pediatric hospital in this country to achieve Stage 7 recognition from HIMSS Analytics for its electronic medical record.
- Has been recognized by KLAS, an independent health care research organization, as the number one pediatric hospital in its use of health care information technology.
UPMC Children’s has been in its new 10-acre home in Pittsburgh's Lawrenceville neighborhood since May 2009. Designed with input from physicians, nurses and families to ensure that patients receive care in a comfortable setting, the hospital is a benchmark for quality care built on five principles including:
Learn more about UPMC Children’s campus.